Old university calendars are a great genealogy tool. They contain a wealth of information on people associated with the university, as well as an insight into the courses of study offered and university
life and culture generally.
A sample of the information included:
- Information on numerous people associated with the University from its foundation in 1850 to 1887
- Officers of the university
- Professors and lecturers
- Members of the university
- Graduates - with degrees awarded and year of graduation
- Those awarded scholarships, exhibitions, bursaries, prizes etc
- Donors of prizes etc.
- Lectureships and fellowships
- Benefactors - private, stained glass windows, portrait and library
- Colleges of the university with staff, fellows, undergraduates, endowments and prizes
- Hospitals recognised by the university for study purposes
- Courses - timetables, subjects and details, recommended books, examination subjects and fees
- Various reports
- Examination papers December 1886 and March 1887
Exploring your family history or building a family tree?
You might also find your ancestors in our extensive Institutions & Organisations Records